Monday, April 19, 2010

Got Milk? No? Get cookies!!

Anyone that knows me is aware that I am very pro breastfeeding and most also know that I had a lot of struggles with breastfeeding which lead to a lot of reading, a lot of research and a lot of advice from professionals (both accredited and practical experienced). In the end I was able to continue a breastfeeding relationship with my youngest son for a year, I would have liked longer but a year was a great accomplishment for us and one to be proud of.
To make a long story short my breastfeeding struggles came down to what we believed to be quality of milk and my son was not getting the nutrients he required. In order to increase my volume and hopefully provide him with more nutrients I sought the advice of an amazing doctor, Dr. Jack Newman as well as conversations with local breastfeeding professionals and my family doctor I was armed with some great ways to increase milk supply and continue to nurse my beautiful baby boy. I believe breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural and amazing thing. It provides your baby with the best possible food as well as antibodies and vitamins. Breastfeeding doesn't come easy to everyone and for some woman (through breast reductions, adoption or other factors) it is not a possibility without intervention of some amazing products and herbs. My youngest and last child is now three so I am past this stage in my life, however I recently told you about the amazing birth I witnessed and that friend is now struggling with her own breastfeeding experience which has brought a lot of this back to me. When she called me the other day looking for advice I was happy to give her whatever help she needed as well as bake 9 dozen Lactation cookies last night!! I would like to share my experience with as many woman as possible, so here it is.

Herbs and Medications that increase milk production - Domperidone and Fenugreek

Devices that can prove helpful with breastfeeding (if you are not having troubles breastfeeding you should avoid the use of these items as you and your baby could become relient on them)

Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) - This product is an amazing devices that allows you to supplement your breastmilk with previously pumped or donated milk or formula while breastfeeding. It is great for those women that like me had milk but the nutritional value was in question or do not have enough milk and can not increase the volume through previously tried methods or have adopted their child but still wish to experience nursing.

Nipple Shield - This product is used for a number of reasons though my experience with it and my recommendation for its use is for the purpose of thrush. If you and/or your baby do contract thrush I recomend the use of a nipple shield while nursing until you are able to clear up the thrush. A problem I had and is fairly common with thrush is that you and your baby will pass it back and forth making it almost impossible to clear up. If you use a nipple shield while your nursing you can elimanate this until you are both free of thrush.

Lactation Cookies!! - This is by far the best prescription you can recieve. These cookies are super yummy and aid in the produciton of milk due to the content of Flax meal and Brewers yeast. The recomendation is 4 per day.
There are many more products, herbs, medication and advice available then listed here. The information I have provided is based on my personal breastfeeding experience, If you are having trouble with breastfeeding please be sure to consult your doctor and the La Leche League in your area for guidance. I also recommend consulting Dr. Jack Newman.

No comments:

Post a Comment